Lotus Drivers Club Online
The Lotus Drivers Club, The Friendly Lotus Club

Welcome to the Lotus Drivers Club Online Community. Please register yourself below with a username and password to allow you to add topics, post information and more. If you are already registered log in below.

Visit our new website at www.LotusDriversClub.org.uk and check out our events calendar for 2009 along with all the latest news, photos and information about the Club.

If you have any queries or questions please email them to lotusdriversclub-cj@yahoo.co.uk

Ferrari Design Boss Joins Lotus

Go down

Ferrari Design Boss Joins Lotus

Post  A7ESK on Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:48 am

The 'Ferrari-isation' of Lotus continues at speed, with the appointment of former Ferrari design boss Donato Coco as Director of Design for Group Lotus.

Donato Coco will join Lotus in JanuaryFormer Ferrari F1 marketing chief Dany Bahar was hired as Lotus Chief Executive by the company's Malaysian owners earlier this year, an appointment followed in quick succession by that of Claudio Berro, the former Ferrari F1 boss who now finds himself in charge of Lotus Motorsport operations.
The new Lotus design chief Donato Coco arrives hot from Maranello himself (well, warm-ish - he doesn't start until the New Year), creating a family of former-Ferrari high-flyers at Hethel that must leave Ferrari boss Luca di Montezemolo wondering who's going to jump ship next.

Our first reaction is to wonder whether 2010 could be the year to open a pizzeria in Norwich, but perhaps we ought to be more interested in what Mr Coco can deliver in design terms for a company we thought had already been doing pretty well under the leadership of Russell Car, otherwise known as Head Of Lotus Design.

"Russell Carr will continue to work on both Lotus products and third party design work, an area which is growing rapidly especially in the emerging Asian markets," says the press release announcing Coco's appointment.

So what about the newcomer? He's not exactly an 'unknown' in the business, but for a quick review of his illustrious CV we'll hand you over to the Lotus press release again:

He was responsible for the 599XX"Donato Coco was previously Director of Design and Development - Ferrari where he worked on the Ferrari F430 Scuderia coupť and Spider 16M, Ferrari California, 599XX and the F458 Italia. Prior to Ferrari, Donato worked for Automobiles CitroŽn rising to the position of Chief Designer and was responsible for, amongst others, the Xsara, Picasso, C3, C3 Pluriel, C2, C1, ZX Paris Dakar and the Xsara WRC.
"Donato Coco holds an MA in Automotive Design from the Royal College of Art, London, England. Whilst at the RCA, he was awarded first prize in a design competition, which was presented to him by Margaret Thatcher when she was Prime Minister of Great Britain."

Eddie King

This news is from Piston heads web site . alien
A7ESK
Midlands Area Meet Coordinator

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2008-07-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ferrari Design Boss Joins Lotus

Post  GrumpyBodger on Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:21 pm

I'm really quite surprised that an F1 Team needs a "Designer"
Isn't the way those Cars look the result of a combination of Engineering & Aerodynamic requirements?
All that seems is left to do is to choose the colour of the car & the Upholstery.

Cynically good in form today
John
GrumpyBodger
The phantom thread killer

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2008-09-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  A7ESK on Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:58 pm

Lets face it not all cars were designed by computer as for Ferrari their all seem to be leaving 3 so far with Michael .
whats going on ????.

If lotus cars all come in one colour Red then are start to worry take over from the inside ?.
santa rendeer rendeer rendeer rendeer rendeer rendeer
A7ESK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  the83man on Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:04 pm

John,

I'm delighted that you have your focus firmly on Lotus F1 Racing but this chap is going to work at Hethel as Head of Design at Group Lotus. I'm sure you are right that the F1 car will be designed by the engineers (except the livery, of course - can't wait to see that).

Mike
the83man
Lotus Drivers Club Chairman
Lotus Drivers Club Chairman

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2008-10-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GrumpyBodger on Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:06 pm

the83man wrote:John,

I'm delighted that you have your focus firmly on Lotus F1 Racing but this chap is going to work at Hethel as Head of Design at Group Lotus. I'm sure you are right that the F1 car will be designed by the engineers (except the livery, of course - can't wait to see that).

Mike

Oh dear, another Senior moment & the Sanatogen`s run out
Well it's a bit of good news then, I believe.
Lotus seem to have got themselves into a bit of a Design rut & some fresh thinking will be good.

I promise to read postings more carefully
etc.

Cheers
John
GrumpyBodger
The phantom thread killer

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2008-09-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  A7ESK on Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:36 pm

Have a beer John its Christmas .
All the Best Eddie its just started Snowing ?
santa rendeer rendeer rendeer rendeer rendeer rendeer
A7ESK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down